Russ Strathdee – Saxophones, BG vocals
Russ hails from Toronto and began playing piano, accordion and viola before switching to the saxophone.
By age 17, Russ was playing with various groups and genres. With a love of most popular forms of music from jazz to rock ‘n roll, Russ has worked with several significant Toronto groups through the 60s, 70s and early 80s, including
- The Silhouettes (Club Bluenote house band with Steve Kennedy and Doug Riley),
- Ritchie Knight and the Mid-Knights
- The Regents featuring Dunc & Judy,
- The Majestics featuring Shawn and Jay Jackson,
- the CBC TV show “Where It’s At”,
- Whitewail (the house band for the Avenue Road Club),
- and Robbie Laine and the Disciples.
Russ also worked with his own bar band, The Ramblers, at Yonge Street’s famous Zanzibar Tavern.
For a colourful in-depth sense of perspective of Russ’s early years, you might find the following article of interest:
Relocating to Barrie, Ontario in the early 80s, Russ soon became one of the feature members of the Fig Leaf Jazz Band and the Martels’ Rock’n Roll Show from 1989 – 2015.
Retiring from a successful career in Information Technology, Russ became a fairly busy saxophonist in Southern Ontario’s Huronia area and beyond. He joined Little Caesar & The Consuls in 2013.
Russ’s Web site: www.rstrathdee.com